Functions of the school director
EUROSTAT report, Eurydice, PISA… These are some of the main international programs that are in charge of evaluating education systems in Europe and whose latest publications have once again positioned Spanish education below the European average , once again showing the need for a urgent improvement.
The results of these indicators are based mainly on the difficulty that Spanish students have in reaching the level of basic skills set by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), in addition to looking at the high dropout rates and school failure that currently exist in our country.
Even so, it should be noted that Spain has been working for years to correct this situation and improve the quality of its education . On the one hand, through general initiatives that directly influence the entire educational system, such as, for example, the modification of the Education Law (LOMLOE 2020). And, on the other hand, through more specific actions that directly affect each school or institute , adapted to their individual reality and the academic performance of their students. And it is in the latter in which the figure of the director is key , since he is responsible for their implementation.
THE FUNCTIONS OF A SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
The mission of a school director is to ensure the success of the projects carried out in the educational center , both internally and externally. Now, for this to be possible, there are many responsibilities and tasks (organizational, administrative, financial, etc.) that the person who occupies this position must respond to.
Next, and to be more clear about what they are, we have compiled the main functions of a school director according to the LOMLOE 2020.
- Represent the center and its work team before the educational Administration and transmit to it its programs, purposes and needs, as well as propose the appointment and / or removal of members of the management team.
- Manage and coordinate all the activities of the school or institute respecting the competences of the teaching team and the School Council.
- Bet on research, experimentation and educational innovation.
- Ensure compliance with the educational law in force at the time.
- Exercise the leadership of all the staff of the school or institute.
- Guarantee a school climate that favors the comprehensive training (academic and personal) of students: school mediation .
- Promote the participation of families, institutions and other organizations in educational projects.
- Collaborate in the evaluations (internal and external) of the educational center and the teaching staff .
- Summon and preside over the academic acts and the sessions of the School Council and the teaching staff .
- Carry out the contracting of works, services and supplies , and authorize the expenses according to the budget of the center.
- Promote teacher training through MASTERS IN EDUCATION and COURSES FOR TEACHERS .
- Design the planning and teaching organization included in the General Annual Programming .
SKILLS TO BE A GOOD DIRECTOR OF EDUCATIONAL CENTERS
The truth is that to become a good school director, in addition to having experience and the appropriate specific training, such as the Master in Management of Educational Centers or the Master in Management of Online Educational Centers that we offer at the European University , it is necessary to possess a series of personal qualities .
Some of these skills are:
- Educational leadership
- Motivation and commitment
- Communication skills
- Agile decision making
- Effective conflict resolution
- Analytical and strategic thinking
- Coordination of human teams
- Management of material and financial resources
- Ability to delegate responsibilities to and trust other members of the management team
- Flexibility and adaptation to change
- Reflection and acceptance of criticism
In short, experience, training and skills, all taken together, are of great help when it comes to adequately assuming the functions that the direction and management of an educational center imply.