Prevention and Environment Service
SKIN CANCER PREVENTION CAMPAIGN 2020
To protect yourself from skin cancer, look above: if you see the sun , take action and protect your skin. If you see the full moon , it is time for the monthly self-examination of your skin and moles. ‘
These are the two most powerful tools against skin cancer.
PHOTOPROTECTION AND SELF-EXPLORATION
With just a few minutes a month you can gain years of life.
Prevention is one of the fundamental tools to fight against skin cancer.
From the Fundación Piel Sana de la AEDV, the Lunares Tales contest was created this year , aimed at promoting skin health through micro-stories and poems .
Through the page. anyone can participate by writing a poem or story of about 280 characters linked to skin or moles.
There are two free and available applications for iOS and Android related to the skin and the sun: UV Derma and e-Derma .
- UV Derma, informs you in real time of the values ??of the ultraviolet index of a locality at the time of consultation, the time that a person can be in the sun without burning and the time it takes to generate a sufficient dose of vitamin D.
- e-Derma, gives you the option of being able to make a photographic record of different areas of the body that can be consulted and compared every month. When a different mole is detected or that has grown, the user can establish a communication channel with the dermatologist avoiding mobility problems and reducing diagnosis or treatment times.
After this confinement stage our skin has seen its natural biological response altered and the positive effects produced by the progressive impact of the sun on the skin have been diminished, for these reasons this year photo protection measures are so important
Exposure to the sun should be progressive, from less to more.
It is recommended to start exposing yourself to the sun for 5 minutes the first day and gradually increase until 15-20 minutes
The masks can cause pressure sores , especially if use is necessarily prolonged. An advisable measure is that, once personal hygiene has been carried out, a moisturizing cream is applied in the areas of greatest contact, as well as a skin protector, about an hour before.
Hydration is very necessary due to the use of gels and disinfectants in hand washing or in the disinfection of objects , especially those for daily use, since, apart from drying, other consequences may appear, such as the incentive of atopic dermatitis.
CHEMICAL PROTECTION MEASURES
- Choose an adequate protection factor , avoid the use of unreliable creams.
- Calculate well the time of exposure to the sun , you must multiply the natural protection time of the skin by the sun protection factor. For example, a very fair skin type can be protected naturally for about 10 minutes, therefore, with a factor 15 sunscreen the skin would be protected for 150 minutes. Each person has a different natural protection depending on the type of skin, but in general, the time is usually between 10 and 30 minutes.
- It is recommended not to skimp on the application of the photoprotector (approximately 2mg / cm2 should be applied) and renew it regularly, keep in mind that the protector is removed by sweat, water, friction from the fabric … During the first days of summer Products with a high sun protection factor (25, 30, 35 or 50) should be used. After applying the lotion, you should wait between 20 and 30.
- Oral photoprotection . People especially sensitive to the sun should reinforce the protection of the cream with additional antioxidants such as vitamin E, lycopene, beta-carotene.
PHYSICAL PROTECTION MEASURES
Avoid the midday sun. During the summer, try to be in the shade from 12:00 to 17:00.
- They have to protect your head, body and eyes with caps, shirts and sunglasses.
- The use of makeup with a sun protection factor is recommended .
- It is recommended to use fabrics with a UPF greater than 30. A cotton t-shirt has a protection factor of 5. There is special clothing that is used as protection against the sun.
- Do not forget sunglasses The eyes also need adequate protection against solar radiation.
Children under two years of age should not be exposed to direct sunlight.