There are many people who wonder why studying the Degree in Dentistry is a good option. Although it is a vocational career, it is also considered one of the degrees with the highest number of professional opportunities due to its many specialties and, therefore, has a high rate of employability.
If you are considering training in Dentistry, but have doubts, in this article we will tell you about some of the advantages and opportunities that studying this degree has.
WHAT DOES A DENTIST DO?
Dentistry (also known as Stomatology) is the branch of Medicine that mainly deals with the study, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of those diseases that affect both the mandibular structure and the oral cavity: teeth, gums, tongue, jaws, muscular and nervous system, blood vessels, etc.
Thus, a dentist is the healthcare professional who looks after the oral health of his patients , either individually or, sometimes, with the collaboration of other specialists such as otolaryngologists, neurologists or speech therapists, among others.
In any case, it has a series of knowledge and skills that allow it to carry out functions such as, for example:
- Monitor the dental medical history of patients.
- Examine the jaw structure and oral cavity to correctly detect and treat (or prevent) disease, injury, or infection.
- Perform routine consultations and treatments: mouth cleaning, detection and removal of cavities, teeth whitening, extraction or reconstruction of pieces, etc.
- Correct defective dental occlusion, that is, misaligned, crowded or crooked teeth using orthodontics.
- Take measurements and impressions to provide them to a dental technician and that he or she manufactures dental appliances (bridges, implants, etc.) adapted to the problems of each patient.
- Place orthodontics, dental implants or prostheses.
- Carry out surgical interventions on the mandibular structure and oral cavity.
Likewise, some dental professionals teach or carry out research tasks in educational institutions or specialized centers.
WHY STUDY DENTISTRY: 4 REASONS
If you have doubts and are wondering why study the Degree in Dentistry ? Do not worry, below, we have highlighted in 4 points some of the main aspects for which doing so is a more than valid alternative.
If you study this degree, you will …
- Dedicate yourself to Medicine in a more specific way: it is clear that if this career catches your attention, it is because you care about the health and well-being of people. If, in addition, you consider that the mouth is one of the most important organs of the body and you like everything that has to do with its characteristics, as well as the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of its ailments, of course Dentistry is the profession you are looking for.
- Working as an employee or self-employed: although you can practice the profession in hospitals and clinics, the truth is that many dentists (in fact, it is the most common option) tend to have their own office. In this way, you will have the opportunity to specialize in the area of ??Dentistry that interests you the most, in addition to managing your workload and your client portfolio.
- Opt for Public Health and / or private sphere: you will be able to work as a dentist in Social Security clinics and hospitals (for Examinations); Or, do it for a company in the private sector.
- Carry out teaching and research , as long as these are related to Dentistry or any dental specialty.
THE SPECIALTIES OF DENTISTRY
Another reason to study Dentistry (and which we discussed at the beginning of the article) is found in the various specialization options offered by this university career.
The field of action of a dentist is very wide, which makes it practically impossible for a single person to have knowledge to cover everything. Hence, many and very varied specialties of Dentistry have arisen and, consequently, this has favored an increase in the number of job opportunities.
Without going any further, at the European University we offer you the possibility of choosing our Masters and University Experts so that you can train in all these dental specialties:
ACADEMIC OFFER OF THE EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY IN MADRID
- MASTER IN DENTAL AESTHETICS
- MASTER IN ENDODONTICS
- MASTER IN PERIODONTICS
- MASTER’S DEGREE IN PROSTHETICS, IMPLANTOPROSTHESES AND DENTAL AESTHETICS
- MASTER’S DEGREE IN ADVANCED ORAL SURGERY AND IMPLANTOLOGY
ACADEMIC OFFER OF THE EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY IN VALENCIA
- MASTER IN ENDODONTICS AND RESTORATIVE DENTISTRY
- MASTER’S DEGREE IN ADVANCED ORAL IMPLANTOLOGY
- EXPERT COURSE IN PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY
OFFER OF THE EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY ONLINE
- UNIVERSITY COURSE IN DIGITAL DENTAL PHOTOGRAPHY – ONLINE
These are some examples of all the professional opportunities that this degree offers you. If after this you continue without being clear about it and want to evaluate other options, you can consult our complete academic offer of Degrees in Biomedical and Health .