What is technology in sport
The influence of technology in sports is growing, both professionally, amateur or even recreational. The technological innovations have adapted to such a complex area like sport offering precise measuring instruments, materials that improve performance and prevent injury or devices that facilitate recovery of athletes.
WHAT IS TECHNOLOGY FOR IN SPORT?
The applications of technology in sports and physical activity open a new chapter in competitions, training and the care of the athlete. New technologies are applied to the design of materials for clothing, footwear or sports instruments. They are also becoming the best ally of coaches as they allow to monitor the performance of athletes and better schedule workouts and breaks.
The new technologies in the sport they are also becoming the right arm of the arbitrators, facilitating communication and assisting them in the difficult decisions. And they are already applied in the systems of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of sports injuries.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF TECHNOLOGY IN SPORTS
- Protects the athlete’s health. The use of new technologies in sports allows athletes to be monitored to avoid overexertion that can cause injuries. It also contributes to perfect treatments to facilitate the recovery of athletes. Thanks to electrostimulation, for example, certain muscle groups can be kept in shape, even if the athlete cannot train.
- More accurate and fair decisions. Super slow camera systems, closed video circuits or VAR minimize the margin of error for referees by providing them with information so that they can make better and fairer decisions.
- Collect valuable data. Another benefit of technology in sport is that it collects a large amount of data that allows more precise monitoring of training and performance. Coaches can use that information to plan workloads and optimize training.
- Boost performance. The use of technology in sports improves the performance of athletes. Its applications are multiple, from the creation of new materials more resistant to contact and speed of movement to hyperbaric chambers that simulate altitude conditions of up to 2,000 meters above sea level to improve the respiratory capacity of athletes.
However, all are not benefits. It is important to know the disadvantages of technology in sports :
- Longer waiting time. The dynamism of the sport means that, in some specific cases, consulting the technology to make an arbitration decision implies too long waiting times that can affect the rhythm of the competition.
- Technological doping. Athletes or teams can take advantage of technology to improve their performance, so that competitions would be less fair for those who do not have access to these technological advances.
EXAMPLES OF APPLICATIONS OF TECHNOLOGY IN SPORT
- Thermography This technology makes it possible to evaluate the surface temperature of athletes to identify injuries or risks of injury in sport, also allowing monitoring of rehabilitation treatments and their return to sports practice.
- Player tracking systems . Player positioning and tracking systems provide valuable information in team sports such as soccer or basketball, helping coaches to get to know the players better and make more informed decisions during competition, training or at rest.
- Sports apps. Technology has democratized and promoted the practice of sport. With smartphones , sports applications and / or activity wristbands, many people can monitor indicators such as exercise intensity, distance traveled, journey, number of calories consumed, maximum strength, number of steps or heart rate to assess your progress.
- Video systems. Video solutions are not only present in commercial and entertainment sports to provide a more immersive experience for fans, but are also used for refereeing purposes such as the hawk eye used in tennis, VAR or the automatic goal detection system in football.
- Nanotechnology. Nanoscale systems are increasingly being applied in sport. Thanks to nanotechnology, lighter surfboards, golf balls that do not deviate from their trajectory and swimming suits that repel water have been created.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE APPLIED TO THE WORLD OF SPORTS
Today, the answers to many sports questions evolve according to our ability to generate knowledge, especially when it comes to processes in which it is possible to collect information. This faculty has become immediate thanks to technology, mainly Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Although Big Data merely refers to the large amount of existing data that we are capable of collecting and storing, Artificial Intelligence allows us to obtain the underlying knowledge in the face of such amount of data and makes a difference to achieve competitive advantage . This is due to its speed, memory, and objectivity .
If you are interested in everything related to the world of sports, our Online Sports Technology Course will suit you like a glove. And if you want to continue training, our Master in Sports Technologies and Digital Transformation will give you a deeper knowledge of new technologies in sport, from Big Data to Artificial Intelligence.